Friday, June 14, 2013

DIY Industrial Coffee Table


So I came across this picture (below) on Pinterest and loved it!  I was working on the design for a Green Room (A room in a theater or studio in which performers can relax when they are not performing.)   I included the definition mainly cause when I tell people about it they say oh so it's all green....

Anyway.... I really wanted the space to have the edgy industrial look and this table was perfect!  So the blog I found had a supply list, but there were no instructions which was ok by me.   I love to figure things out but I thought it might be nice to do a full DIY tutorial on how you could create this yourself.  The best part is you can vary the sizes, or make it a bench.  The possiblities on this basic foundation are great.  So here it is I hope you enjoy!


Materials 
A -1 - 2 x 8 x 15 cedar (or pine) plank cut into 5 feet lengths (Home Depot did it for me!)
     So you'll have 3 - 2 x 8 x 5 (this is your table top)
B - 8 - flanges (1 inch diameter)
C - 8 - 5" length pipe (1 inch diameter) (This is what you can adjust to make it taller or shorter)
D - 4 - T shaped connectors (1 inch diameter)
E - 4 - 2" threaded pipe connectors (1 inch diameter)
F - 4 - 1 to 3/4 inch pipe reducer
G - 4 - 3" length pipe (3/4 inch diameter) (This is what you can adjust to make it wider or narrower)
H - 2 - 3/4 inch T connectors
I - 1 - custom cut 51" long pipe (1 inch diameter) (If you adjust the length here you need to make sure you do it with the wood pieced too!)

3 Metal brackets.. I don't have a picture of them... sorry but they are long flat pieced of metal that I screwed into the bottom and they go across all three boards. 
Ok so yes my ABC labeling and the photo leave ALOT to be desired but it works so I'm moving forward and trying not to judge myself.

Instructions:
So the pipe is all greasy and I suggest gloves or wipe them down or something that works for you.

SO the first thing I did was screw the metal brackets to the bottom of the wood planks.  I had long clamps that I used to hold them together.

Then I assembled all the pipe.

LEGS - goes together like this; flanges into the 5"pipe then a 1in T-Shapped connector, into another 5in pipe and another flange.

SUPPORT BRACE - between the legs... 1in T-Shapped connector (from leg) into 2" threaded pipe connector into the pipe reducer into the 3" pipe into the 3/4 T-Connector.

MIDDLE BRACE - Insert the long 51" long pipe into both 3/4 T-Connetor (from the support brace)

So then I screwed the flanges into the wood top. Then I stained it.

Wallla!! Finished Industrial Coffee Table.  I hope you enjoy and make fun pieces!



Also Featured here....


  
Home Stories A2Z 

6 comments:

  1. SUPER CUTE!! Thank you for the great instructions! Thank you too for linking up at our Simply Create Link Party. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla, I just wanted to let you know that we loved your table so much we are featuring and pinning it tonight! Thank you for sharing with us.

    Melissa
    redlfycreations.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the table! Saw you featured at Simply Designing With Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! Just wondering how much it cost you to put this together? (thinking of trying to make one!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kayla, my bf and I are putting the parts together and have come to a hitch..
    The centerpipe should be 51" 3/4 not 1 inch diameter :(
    @ holly it cost us close to $300 at home depot

    ReplyDelete